The brewery and malthouse were built for Messrs Bailey and Stanley, to a design by the architect Daniel Garlick. In 1871, Garlick advertised for tenders for the excavation of a large cellar and the erection of a brewery. In 1872, tenders were advertised for the construction of the malthouse, kiln and store. The successful tenderers were Brown and Thompson (AHPI).
Undertaking alterations and additions to the Lion Brewery in 1873 and 1875, Cumming called for tenders in 1880 for the construction of the Lion Hotel at the corner of Jerningham and Melbourne Streets (Marsden et al 1990: 338; SHR 13559).
Now known as the Lion Hotel.