Index
Architect Personal DetailsArchitectural works in South Australia
Firms or Professional PartnershipsBibliographic Sources

Architect Personal Details

Surname

Jackman

First name

Herbert Montefiore

Gender

Male

Born

16/05/1897

Died

24/05/1968

Biography

Herbert Montefiore Jackman born 16 May 1897 to Herbert Louis Jackman and Amelia Kither who also had a daughter Madeline Kither Jackman. He married Claridge Mary Warnes in 1924 and had a daughter, Judith. They lived at Nutley, Beulah Road, Norwood (‘In the Garden at “Nutley”’ 1931: 35). He died aged 70 years on 24 May 1968.

He was made Vice President of the SAIA in 1949. In March 1923 he and his wife left on an overseas tour which included taking in the Coronation of the Queen in England as well as a Mediterranean cruise (RAIA SA Chapter Bulletin 1953: 19).

Herbert Monte Jackman, joined his father at Garlick and Jackman commencing his articles in 1917. However H.M. Jackman joined the Australian Imperial Forces during World War One and embarked as a reinforcement in July 1918. On his return to Adelaide in 1919 went to work for English and Soward, being made a partner in 1926. The name was changed to English, Soward and Jackman in 1930 (Sands and MacDougall Directories) however the partnership between the three had only lasted until 1927 when Joseph English died. G.K. Soward and H.M. Jackman continued practising together until 1937 when H.M Jackman joined Lancelot Gooden, who had remained at Garlick and Jackman after H.L Jackman’s death in 1936. The name of Garlick and Jackman was retained, with H. M. Jackman as senior and Lancelot Gooden as junior partner. In 1945 they became Garlick, Jackman and Gooden then later with the addition of Earle Scott as a partner they became Jackman, Gooden and Scott. In 2009 the practice survives as JPE Design Studio.

In the early days the practice of English and Soward designed many buildings with several clients returning and providing a steady flow of work for the business. SA Farmers Co-operative Union Ltd. was one such client, with the practice designing additions to premises in Bentham Street, Adelaide and at Pinaroo (1922), a Machinery Shed, Brock Street, Port Adelaide (1927) and motor garage additions, Young St, Adelaide (1933). When Jackman left Soward and moved into practice with Gooden at Garlick and Jackman SA Farmers Co-operative Union Ltd. commissioned offices at Port Lincoln (1939). The Union Bank of Australia was a continuing client for English and Soward. Branches were designed at Port Adelaide (alterations and additions) (1922) and Laura (1922). The Orroroo branch of the Savings Bank of South Australia was another of their designs. One of their more interesting jobs was that of Lion cages, designed for the Adelaide Zoo in 1924. A grandstand for the Onkaparinga Racing Club at Oakbank was undertaken in 1927.

Tender notices show that residences designed by English and Soward included many at Glenelg, where Soward held a respected place in the community. Memorial Halls made up some of the practice’s work with Soldiers Memorial Clubrooms at Glenelg part of a project to alter and extend the Glenelg Town Hall in 1923. Memorials to the war dead of the First World War made up a significant part of building works following the cessation of hostilities. A Memorial Porch was added to St Peter’s Church at Glenelg in 1923, a Soldiers Memorial Hall at Mt Pleasant followed in 1926 and a Memorial Tower to St Alban’s Church at Gladstone in 1928. English and Soward and Jackman designed offices for the Municipal Tramways Trust at Victoria Square in 1932. A Grandstand at Glenelg Oval was designed by the practice in 1933.

The Methodist Church was an ongoing client of the practices. Following the Methodist College at Brighton (1923), Methodist Ladies College, at Greenhill Road, Wayville, commissioned a School Hall from English and Soward in 1925. More work was commissioned by the Methodist Church in 1925 with the substantial six-storey Epworth Building in Pirie Street, Adelaide in Gothic style, a major commission. Housing the Methodist Church’s administrative offices the building was erected to the east of the Pirie Street Methodist Church.

Following the formation of the partnership between Lance Gooden and H.M. Jackman the practice continued works for Gooden’s former Garlick and Jackman clients including Eudunda Farmers Co-operative. Branches were designed for Gladstone (1939), Eudunda, Millicent (1939), Tailem Bend (1937), Lameroo (1937) and an extension at Renmark (1939). For SA Farmers Union Ltd the practice designed a cheese factory at Glencoe (1937), offices at Eyre Street, Pt Lincoln (1939), a new loading platform at Murray Bridge (1948), and additions to offices at Morphett Street, Adelaide (1948).

During World War Two the practice was seconded by the Department of Interior and Works to work on Munitions Buildings at Salisbury. In 1945 Garlick, Jackman and Gooden designed new premises for O. Heysen and Son in Wyatt Street, Adelaide. Alma Shoes premises, in Grey Street, Adelaide (1945-1946). In 1948, following the major fire at Charles Moore’s Department Store, Victoria Square, Adelaide, Garlick, Jackman and Gooden were called upon to prepare plans for the reinstatement of the premises. The building had originally been designed by Garlick and Jackman, the previous generation of the practice in 1913.

Some of the residences designed by the practice Garlick, Jackman and Gooden include the W.W. Grasby house, Fullarton Road, Netherby (1941) and the S.R. Giles house, Wattle Park (1952). In 1951 a residence was designed for H.M Jackman, at 29 Palmer Place, North Adelaide.

Into the 1950s the practice was kept busy with works for some of Adelaide well-known businesses, such as a bulk store in York Lane, Adelaide for Malcolm Reid & Co. Ltd. in 1951. Farmers’ Co-op Executors & Trustees Ltd. commissioned extensions to their Bentham Street premises in Adelaide in 1963 from Jackman, Gooden & Scott, as did the Commercial Bank when they needed alterations to their premises in King William Street, Adelaide (1963).

Julie Collins

SponsorTitle

SponsorImage

Top

Architectural works in South Australia

Name Suburb Year Designed
Lion cages at Adelaide Zoo Adelaide 1924
Grandstand at Oakbank Racecourse Oakbank 1927
Mt Pleasant Soldiers Memorial Hall Mt Pleasant 1926
Epworth Building Adelaide 1925
Alma Shoes Adelaide 1945
Grasby residence Netherby 1941
Malcolm Reid & Co. Ltd. Bulk store Adelaide 1951
Eudunda Farmers Co-operative Gladstone 1939
Top

Firms or Professional Partnerships

Name Dates Worked
English and Soward 1919-1930 
English, Soward and Jackman 1930-1937 
Garlick and Jackman 1937-1945 
Garlick, Jackman and Gooden 1945- 
Top

Bibliographic Sources

Name

PUBLISHED
Books
(2004) South Australian Deaths Index of registrations, 1916-1972, South Australian Genealogy and Heraldry Society Inc., Marden.
Apperly, R., Irving, R. and Reynolds, P. (1989) A Pictorial Guide to Identifying Australian Architecture, Angus and Robertson, North Ryde.
Burden, M. (1983) Lost Adelaide: A Photographic Record, Oxford University Press, Melbourne.
Burgess, H.T. (ed) (1907) The Cyclopaedia of South Australia: Volume One, Cyclopaedia Co., Adelaide pp.540-1.
Collins, J. (2012) 'Jackman Gooden' in Goad, P. and Willis, J. (eds) The encyclopaedia of Australian architecture, Cambridge University Press: 359.
Freeland, J.M. (1971) The Making of a Profession, Angus and Robertson and R.A.I.A., Sydney.
Freeland, J.M. (1974) Architecture in Australia, A History, Penguin, Harmondsworth.
Marsden, S, Stark, P and Sumerling, P. (1990) Heritage of the City of Adelaide. An Illustrated Guide, Corporation of the City of Adelaide, Adelaid.
Morgan, E.J.K. and Gilbert, S.H. (1969) Early Adelaide, Architecture 1836-1886, Oxford University Press, Melbourne.
Page, M. (1986) Sculptors in Space, South Australian Architects 1836-1986, RAIA SA Chapter, Adelaide.
Pikusa, S. (1986) The Adelaide House 1836-1901, Wakefield Press, Kent Town.
Thomas, Jan (ed), (1990) South Australians, 1836-1885, South Australian Genealogy and Heraldry Society Inc., Marden.

Journals
RAIA SA Chapter Bulletin, January-March 1953: 19.
‘In the Garden at “Nutley”’, South Australian Homes and Gardens, 2 November 1931: 35.

UNPUBLISHED
Reports
Collins, J. and Garnaut, C. (2002) Jackman Gooden Pilot Study 1851-1938, unpublished report.
Jackman, Gooden, Scott and Swan (1981) 130 Years of Architecture: an exhibition, Jackman, Gooden, Scott and Swan, Adelaide, copy held at Architecture Museum, Louis Laybourne Smith School of Architecture and Design, University of South Australia (LLSAM).
Lapins, R. (1982) Daniel Garlick: 20 January 1818-28 September 1902. Biography of a pioneer Architect, copy held at JPE Design Studio.
Nayda, P.J. (1981) A concise description of the origins of Jackman, Gooden, Scott and Swan Pty. Ltd., unpublished, copy held at JPE Design Studio.

Archival
History of South Australian Architects 1986, including notes on South Australian Architects. Cheesman collection, S209/2/20/1-3, LLSAM.
RAIA South Australia Significant Twentieth Century Architecture RAIA Collection, S301, LLSAM.
Jackman Gooden collection, Business Record Group 238, State Library of South Australia.
Scott, S. (1975) Catalogue of drawings held in the office of Jackman, Gooden, Scott and Swan, unpublished database printout, Adelaide, copy held at LLSAM.

ELECTRONIC
Websites
Australian Heritage Places Inventory
http://www.heritag.gov.au/cgi-bin/ahpi
Manning Index 1837-1937 newspapers http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/manning
State Library of South Australia catalogue http://www.catalog.slsa.sa.gov.au
Saunders Architectural Index, University of Adelaide
http://www.arch.adelaide.edu.au/~saunders/cgi-bin/priam.cgi
World War One Nominal Roll, Australian War Memorial http://www.awm.gov.au

Other
Willis, J. (1998) South Australian Architects Biography Project CD Rom, Faculty of Art, Architecture and Design, University of South Australia, LLSAM.

Top
Home Page | Close Window